Saturday, June 28, 2008

The Great Ape Project-- Again

I apologize for not seeing this until today but Spain has granted equal rights to apes. Yes, that is correct.

I know it sounds crazy and laughable but there is a real danger here. I know also that I may hear from a number of people who will be angry that I'm saying this but I'm going to say it again anyway: human beings are exceptional. If I am engaging in "speciesism," then I am happy to do so.

According to the (London) Times, the Spanish director for The Great Ape Project (based here in the U.S.), Pedro Pozas, "said that the vote would set a precedent, establishing legal rights to animals that could be extended to other species. 'We are seeking to break the species barrier-- we are just the point of the spear,' he said."

Be afraid, be very afraid.

If human beings are no longer special, what prevents us from being treated as animals? The answer is nothing. Nothing at all.

No comments: