Thursday, July 10, 2008

Correction

Tuesday, I wrote about Planned Parenthood's endorsement of Barack Obama [this is a correction from the original post, I accidentally wrote "John McCain"-- this was WRONG]. In my post, I mentioned that McCain has a zero percent voting record with PPFA and their score was based upon 125 votes McCain cast on legislation "related to abortion on demand." I had someone write a rather juvenile comment in opposition to my position on John McCain and abortion but she did mention something that made me dig a little further into what votes PPFA scored.

In the interest of being accurate, PPFA decribes those votes and McCain's positions as follows:

Prevention of Unintended and Teen Pregnancy
Abstinence-Only Programs
Title X Family Planning Program
Insurance Coverage of Prescription Birth Control
Comprehensive Sex Education
Government Funding for Contraception
The "Global Gag Rule"
Overturning Roe v. Wade
The U.S. Supreme Court Decision on Roe v. Wade
2006 South Dakota Abortion Ban
His "Pro-Life" Credentials

The only ones that are not directly or indirectly related to abortion on demand are prescription birth control coverage and possibly government funding of contraception (I would have to check on that-- it depends on the language as to whether or not there would be a concern). On contraception, I stand corrected. I tend to forget that PPFA would promote that because it was not something National Right to Life scores since NRLC does not take a position on birth control. NRLC also does not take a stand on sex education per se but does oppose efforts that seek to inject abortion as a "solution" to teen pregnancy. Even though I no longer work at NRLC, I still tend to think the same way.

Everything else on the list does have a connection with abortion on demand in some way.

No comments: