Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Clinton Asked About Oregon Assisted Suicide Law

Sunday, the Register-Guard (Eugene, Oregon) interviewed Hillary Clinton about a variety of issues. Two of the questions were about Oregon's assisted suicide law:

Q: What’s your attitude toward Oregon’s assisted suicide law?

A: I believe it’s within the province of the states to make that decision. I commend Oregon on this count, as well, because whether I agree with it or not or think it’s a good idea or not, the fact that Oregon is breaking new ground and providing valuable information as to what does and doesn’t work when it comes to end-of-life questions, I think, is very beneficial.

Q: Would you have voted for it if you were a resident of the state?

A: I don’t know the answer to that. I have a great deal of sympathy for people who are in difficult end-of-life situations. I’ve gone to friends who have been in great pain and suffering at the end of their lives. I’ve never been personally confronted with it but I know it’s a terribly difficult decision that should never be forced upon anyone. So with appropriate safeguards and informed decision-making, I think it’s an appropriate right to have.


And here we have folks the typical Clinton answer: the non-answer answer.

It is clear that Clinton is unwilling to condemn assisted suicide. And this is despite the fact that most assisted suicide victims are not only terminally or chronically ill but also clinically depressed. Because these individuals are not 20-years-old and healthy, there is no fight to save them. They're given the "compassionate" response of a bottle of pills and instruction on how to use them.

2 comments:

KatCarp said...

I disagree. I read Clinton's response as saying that she doesn't know how she personally would be comfortable with asking for Assisted Suicide for herself or a loved-one. She does acknowledge that Oregon's law is important and valuable to this country. She clearly believes the decision should be left up to the person / family.

Sorry Ms. Echevarria, but Clinton's answer seems to be the most diplomatic and democratic way of saying, yes I support the legalization of Assisted Suicide within reason. We all read and hear what we want to hear, but I must respectfully disagree with you about Clinton not saying what she believes.

Her statements are right on and appropriate. It is a difficult decision and it would be very hard to make. Having been confronted with it myself, I appreciate Clinton's honesty and respect for the difficulties of this topic.

Laura Echevarria said...

I respectfully disagree.

I think Clinton could have been clearer in her statement. A great deal rides on the statements and opinions of the presidential candidates and we're all left parsing sentences when their answers are too diplomatic.

Attempts to pass other suicide laws have come up in the past and will likely do so again in the future. A future president may find him or herself involved in some way and we need to have a clearer picture of where he or she would stand on the issue.

I think we all have watched a loved one suffer in the last days of life. But most people seeking physician-assisted suicide are doing so generally for main reason: they don't want to be a burden to others.

Personally, I would hate to have a loved one facing a terminal illness feel like he or she is a burden the rest of us are putting up with. According to a study cited by National Right to Life, 24 percent of terminally patients desired death. All of the 24 percent were clinically depressed (understandably so). We need to treat the depression and give these patients the tools they need, such as better palliative care, to live their last days to the fullest.